October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, but you knew that already…
October 1, 2012 Leave a comment
Did you know that October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM)? Ok, you probably did not. It isn’t exactly the type of event that hits the front page of most newspapers and websites, but it should.
The FBI’s Robert Mueller recently stated that “cyber security may well become our highest priority in the years to come.” In my opinion, that time is fast approaching. If you follow the news regarding Cyber Security as I do, you may agree that we are already under a sustained attack that has the potential to cut the country’s economy off at the “knees”.
As we all know, it is not just corporations that are the victims. US consumers are targeted by organized crime groups from around the globe. In fact, this is not just a US problem, it is a global epidemic.
It is easy to dismiss NCSAM as a silly event that means nothing. And that is EXACTLY why you should pay attention. As long as consumers are victimized, there will be an incentive for fraudsters to invest the time and money to launch their attacks. So, with that in mind, please take the time to review the FBI’s recommendations below:
- Set strong passwords, and don’t share them with anyone.
- Keep a clean machine—your operating system, browser, and other critical software are optimized by installing regular updates.
- Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends, and community about Internet safety.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post online, and use privacy settings to avoid sharing information widely.
- Be cautious about what you receive or read online—if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you want more information on NCSAM, the FBI’s press release contains links to a number of helpful resources. I hate to state the obvious, but if you don’t take the time to improve your awareness of the cyber security threat facing the nation, no one will do it for you.
Need a writer that understands fraud? When you hire me to write an article, blog post, newsletter or white paper you get an accomplished writer that is also an expert in fraud.